A chargeback is a charge that is returned to a payment card after a customer successfully disputes an item on their account statement or transactions report—Mews never initiates chargebacks. Learn more about how to prevent disputes, and how to resolve them once they've happened.
Since the start of the spread of COVID-19, many customers have filed chargebacks for their already paid (and refunded) stays in hotels all around the world. If you receive a chargeback for a stay you already refunded, follow these steps:
- Go to Main menu > Finance > Payment report.
- Use the filters to find the payment.
- Under the Payment card column, check to see whether the payment card was virtual or physical.
- If it's virtual: The payment was disputed by the OTA that processed the reservation (for example, Booking.com or Expedia). Contact the OTA to resolve the dispute.
- If it's physical: The payment was disputed by the customer. Contact them and explain that you've already refunded the payment they're disputing—they can always withdraw the chargeback with their bank.