DISCLAIMER: Please note, this is not a legally approved document. We are outlining what our customers doing in Sweden when it comes to the statutory requirements. They may be using Mews to achieve some of it and some third-party services to get to some of the remaining requirements.



1. What are the VAT levels in the Sweden?

There are 4 levels of VAT, 0%, 6%, 12% and 25%.

2. What type products should each VAT level apply?

0% applies to tax exempt services such as dental, insurance and banking services, healthcare and social services.

6% includes newspapers, books, taxi, concerts, bus-, air- and train travel within Sweden.

12% Applies to food, groceries, restaurant visits and room rental in hotel, boarding and hostel activities or similar. The VAT is 12% also for certain other services, which are closely related to the room rental, such as breakfast, parking, telephone, bath and sauna and laundry. If the goods or services are not included in the price of the room and the buyer can buy them for an additional fee, the goods or services must be different supplies and taxed separately. The VAT rate on the goods or additional services is determined by which product or service it is.

25% default tax rate on goods and services (alcohol). Conference arrangements with the services included do not count as room rental. The VAT on this is therefore 25%. Accommodation and hotel breakfast for conference participants is taxed at the tax rate of 12%.

3. Is there upcoming change of VAT levels?

Not for now.

4. Should deposits be used for VAT payments (in case of advance deposit payments) or not (or both are allowed)

Yes, according to the Accounting Act, cash inflows and outflows must be booked no later than the next day and other business events must be booked as soon as possible. As a rule, a hotel stay is paid for with a credit card.

City Tax:

5. What City taxes apply in your country?

Not applicable, a sales tax of 12% is automatically added to the bill.

6. How is City Tax calculated? -

7. What regions and type of properties do they apply to? -

8. The following cities have city tax hard coded in Sweden. Click on the highlighted city name for official documentation. For all cities the rule applies that if you are a resident of that city, which means registered as an inhabitant of that municipality, you are exempt of paying city tax. It is up to the hotel to provide a register to the city proofing that you had exempted guests. -

Fiscalisation requirements:

9. Are there any current requirements?

10. Are there any upcoming requirements?

Report payments to the Swedish tax Authorities through the Black Box.

  • non cloud - physical box that sends it to the IRS
  • cloud - non-physical

The Black Box connection is under development.

Reporting requirements:

11. Are there any tourism reports required?

Yes, if you have foreign guests (who are not citizens or permanent residents of Sweden), you must register them and check their identification.

It does not matter what the registration card looks like, the important thing is that the following information about the foreign guest is registered:

  • last name and first name
  • year of birth and date of birth
  • home address
  • day of arrival and day of departure
  • type of identification (passport, ID card)
  • the number of the identification document
  • signature and date of signature.

The registration cards must be kept for three months. If the police ask for the information, you should be able to provide it quickly. The police may need the information during criminal investigations or searches for wanted and missing persons.

12. Is there Foreign Police integration required?


13. Any other Statistical Authority reports required?

Yes, SCB requires the hotel to provide statistics once a month. The integration used to be with Rapibo but is now built with Omniboost exports.

Data collection requirements:

14. What data of guests should be collected (and does Mews require during online check-in) by law?

Country of residence (at least 12 months back) no the same as country of origin

Arrival date - The day the guest arrives and registers for overnight stay counts as one arrival. For example, four people who stay two days count as four

arrivals and eight guest nights.

Segment – Business, conference, groups or leisure.

15. Is it legal to take copies of passports?

No, copies of passports or ID cards are not allowed.

Accounting requirements:

According to the Accounting Act, an invoice (verification) must, among other things, contain information about:

  • Date, when compiled
  • Customer, to whom the invoice is addressed
  • The business event, when it occurred
  • Specification, as regards the invoice amount
  • A unique serial number for each invoice
  • Seller's registration number for VAT
  • Name and address of seller and buyer
  • The quantity and nature of the goods or the scope and nature of the services
  • The tax base (the price before VAT) for each VAT rate
  • The applicable VAT rate or rates
  • The VAT to be paid

Did this answer your question?