Install the Operator app on a mobile device to create a convenient and easy-to-use kiosk that’ll help you cut down on check-in times.
What you need to get started
To use an Operator kiosk at your property, you need to have:
- Payment automation turned on. To turn on payment automation, all rate groups need to have automatic settlement enabled. Note: It doesn't matter which settlement action you choose.
- A mobile device with a front-facing camera. For more information, see our device requirements below.
- Samsung model (recommended)
- Android 7.0 or later
- 10-inch screen with a minimum resolution of 1080p
- Front-facing camera
Step 1: Set up the Operator integration
- Go to Main menu > Marketplace.
- Find the Operator integration (in the New and noteworthy category).
- Under Connected devices, select every key encoder you plan to use with an Operator kiosk.
Step 2: Configure your kiosk in Commander
Before you can install Operator on your mobile device, it needs to be configured in Commander.
- Go to Main menu > Settings > Services.
- Click on your stay service.
- Click Operator configurations.
- Click the
- Enter a descriptive name to identify the kiosk (for example, “Left lobby kiosk”).
- Under Connector integration, select your Operator integration (connected in Step 1).
- Select the default language you want displayed in your kiosk.
- Complete all other relevant fields.
- Commander will automatically generate a QR code for this configuration (for installation in Step 3).
|Add translation||Select the language that you want the key cutting instructions to be in. When you select a language that is different than your property's default, some fields on this screen will have an additional line for you to add translations.|
|Name||Enter a name—if you have multiple kiosks, describe their location in the name so you can identify them easily (for example, "Right Kiosk").|
|Connector integration||Select your Operator integration.|
|Default language||Select the language that you want Operator to be in by default.|
|Key cutter||If you're using Operator with a key cutting device, select the device you want to connect with here (you can only do this after you have set up a key cutter integration).|
|Take key instructions||If you're using Operator with a key cutting device, enter the first step the guest should take when cutting their own key (for example, "Take a key from the stack"). This will be shown on the left side of the screen.|
|Cut key instructions||If you're using Operator with a key cutting device, enter the second step the guest should take when cutting their own key (for example, "Place your key in the key cutter"). This will be shown on the right side of the screen.|
|Thank you message||Enter a custom message that tells guests what to do when their check-in is complete (for example, "Your check-in is complete. Go to reception to pick up your key!").|
|Contact instructions||Enter a message for guests when they click the Help button (for example, "If you're having trouble checking in, please call 555-555-555"). The Help button will only be shown if you complete this field.|
|Cut key video URL||If you're using Operator with a key cutting device, enter the URL of an instructional video that details how to use that device (this must be a full address that links directly to an MP4 file; it can't link to a video-sharing website, such as YouTube). Learn more about creating your own video.|
|Theme||Choose the color scheme you want: light or dark.|
Step 3: Install Operator on your device
If your device is brand new (and not yet set up), Operator must be installed the first time you turn it on. If your device is not new or has already been set up, you'll need to perform a factory reset.
Before you reset your device: If you're logged into your Google account on the device, make sure you remove the account before you reset it. If you don't, you'll need to re-enter your Google credentials when the device restarts—if you forget your credentials and can't log in, you won't be able to use the tablet at all.
Follow the steps below immediately after you turn on the device for the first time or perform a factory reset:
- After you turn on your brand new device or perform a factory reset, the setup process will begin.
- Do not press
Startat any point during this process.
- Do not press
- Tap on the "Welcome" message repeatedly until you are taken to a new screen.
- Connect to a WiFi network, and your device will begin installing a QR code reader.
- After the QR reader has been installed, scan the QR code in your Operator configuration (generated in Step 2).
- Agree to all terms and conditions to install Operator on your device.